White Hat Sports Headlines

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Most Exciting Two Minutes In Sports

I have been brought up in a household that worships horse racing. I don't even know if this is a professional sport but I'm going to count it as one for this post. My father is a big fan of gambling in general and my mother enjoys big hats, so the it would only make since that they would fall in love with the Kentucky Derby.
I don't know how I feel about the sport myself, but I know that it has a very good history. It was first run in 1780, and has been held in Louisville every year since. It is the first race of the Triple Crown, along with the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes. The Kentucky Derby or the "Run for the Roses" is the most famous and the one horse race that most Americans have at least heard of.
My parents were lucky enough last year to witness the Derby first hand. They were able to go to Louisville and drink Mint Juleps and my mother wore her big hat. They came back with a little bit of money and a lot of crazy stuff to talk about.
The Derby is held on the first Sunday in May every year. This year's heavy contender is Anak Nakal. I have no idea how to say that. But thats the horse to beat. So I'm going to put an end to this non-sense and finish this post.

-Adam

No comments: