White Hat Sports Headlines

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I cant even begin to start this post without laughing to myself a little. I've decided to take on the duty of talking about the professional sports that don't quite get the recognition that I feel they deserve. Besides this blog thing is supposed be at least somewhat entertaining.
The "Sport" that I will be discussing in this post has it's biggest event on July 4th every year. I'm talking about the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. This is the Super Bowl of professional eating, and as with every sport it has its dominate athlete to go along with it. Takeru "Tsunami" Kobayashi has won this contest 6 times, the most of any competitor. He won every year from 2000 to 2006. Eating on average 55 hot dogs and buns in 15 minutes or less. This is amazing. I don't care if you hit .350 every year for 10 years, or go undefeated with an 18-0 record. You can't eat 55 hot dogs.
This year the Tsunami was uncrowned. He was defeated by an American. Joey Chesnut ate 66 hotdogs this past July out-eating Kobayashi by 3 hot dogs; an impressive feat. Soon after the competition the news was broken that Kobayashi may not be able to compete anymore due to arthritis in his jaw. I know for me personally this news was devastating.
So to sum up this little bit I'd like to say that competitive eating is a great sport and doesn't get the respect it deserves.
-Adam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adam -- please create titles for your blogs in the future....